There's nothing quite like sitting under the stars, watching holiday lights dance to festive music. Northwest Indiana is home to some of the best drive-thru light shows, from home displays to massive city events, making it easy to get into the holiday spirit without sacrificing comfort. Check out some of our favorites:
- Winter Wonderlights in Merrillville stretches over a half mile of twinkling trees, giant inflatable characters and colorful tunnels. A portion of ticket proceeds are donated to charity.
- Bozak Family Christmas Light Show in Burns Harbor, a local holiday tradition returning for its 8th year, is bigger and brighter than ever. The dazzling lights are synced to music, so be prepared to get your festive groove on.
- Celebrate the most wonderful tyme of the year at Harvest Tyme Family Farm in Lowell. The spectacular journey spans over one mile and begins with a jolly greeting from Saint Nick.
- The Washington Park Festival of Lights in Michigan City is the largest free drive-thru light exhibit in the Midwest. Over five million bulbs light up a variety of holiday-themed and unconventional displays--including dinosaurs!
Bundle up, lace up your skates, and appreciate the beautiful winter season in all its glory by ice skating at any of the many outdoor rinks. Friends and family of all skating experience are sure to have a blast gliding across the ice. Some popular locations include:
- Bulldog Park Ice Skating Rink in Crown Point for the NHL-sized rink and two special adaptive sleds for those with movement impairments.
- Central Park Plaza in Valparaiso for the state-of-the-art music sound system and colorful lights.
- Downtown La Porte Ice Rink for its charming, quaint atmosphere in the heart of the city.
Not interested in braving the northern cold? After all, lake effect snow is snow joke! There's no shortage of indoor celebrations to enjoy the great indoors. Keep tabs on your online city calendar to stay up to date with upcoming events. Here are some to consider marking on your calendar:
- "A Christmas Story" Comes Home in Hammond is bound to delight fans of the classic holiday film. This annual event features 6 animatronic window displays depicting scenes from the A Christmas Story movie set, as well as a gift shop and photo opportunities with Santa for children and pets.
- The Holiday Gift Gallery exhibit in Valparaiso's Art Barn School of Art features fine crafts for purchase and fit for any budget. All items are handmade by the Northwest community, and purchases support local artists and art education programs.
- The Kid's New Year's Eve Party in Crown Point is perfect for parents looking for a fun event to ring in the New Year with their little ones. This kid-friendly celebration features a DJ, magician, face painting, beverages, snacks and more!
No matter what your interests or age, there is something for everyone in Northwest Indiana during the holiday season. If you're wanting new festive traditions, cozy winter activities or fun events for the whole family, this region truly comes alive during the holidays. Be sure to explore all that The Region has to offer this season!