The overhaul of digital banking several months ago has overall made the experience much better, however, there are still two major issue which affect me regularly and prevent me from rating this 5 stars.
1. The app and website lock your account after an absurdly small number of incorrect attempts - around 3 I believe. The only way to unlock your account is to call the customer support line during normal business hours, which means if I mistype my password 3 times on a friday evening, I have to wait until Monday to access my financial information.
I empathize heavily with the need for strong internet security, and I applaud Purdue Federal for attempting to make theirs strong. However, unnecessary security measures that are burdensome to the user are actually detrimental, as they encourage customers to use less secure practices, such as easier to remember - and thus guess - passwords. I would strongly suggest increasing the incorrect attempts limit to something more reasonable such as 10. This will not significantly decrease the security of the system as long as you are taking steps to prevent users from using common passwords that may be used in dictionary attacks.
2. On your android application, using the built-in device back button on an account summary causes the page to go to an "access denied" page rather than returning to the accounts page. This simple problem interrupts the natural flow of my use of the app, as it is standard for the back button to navigate to the last page on an android app.
As a side note, though it does not affect this review: I should be able to use parenthesis in the text of a review. If you are attempting to prevent malicious script injection, there are more precise ways to do that.
Written on 6/1/2020 by Austin | Member Since 2015 | West Lafayette IN | Alumnus
Good review of services in digital banking.
Written on 4/23/2020 by Kaz | Member Since 1976 | West Lafayette | Staff
For months we received emails stating a better online banking experience is coming.... I am still waiting for this to arrive. So far I have not found one thing that is better than than the old platform. The dashboard is not very inclusive of all accounts like it use to be. The online bill pay is cumbersome to navigate. Bill pay on the mobile app is awful to use. The new online banking does not function properly on an iPad, even after you request the desktop version.
Written on 8/26/2020 by ZMc | Member Since 2010 | FISHERS | Alumnus
As the country has been dealing with a pandemic, online banking becomes more and more important as a way to manage your money without dealing in-person for basic operations. Online banking isn't optional anymore. It needs to work and it needs to work well.
As we near one year after PFCU updated their online banking platform, it's worth taking stock of where it is now. There's a slew of bugs in it, ranging from buggy web design to outright security issues. I'm fairly aware of them because I've sent every one that I've found in. Some have been fixed but most have not. A brief selection that are still live as of today:
- The Secure Message Center has so many serious bugs that I've lost count. Any errors with attaching documents causes it to freeze in a loading state, losing everything you've typed. I've gotten responses meant for other members because the contact center side is equally bug-ridden.
- Email addresses were "fixed" to remove characters that online banking couldn't support. My emails were sent to a completely different address, one I didn't control and couldn't access. No notification was sent to my old address when they made this change. I just stopped getting emails.
- Resizing the page causes sections to shutter and disappear. Using to small of a browser causes content to fall right off the page.
- Some transactions don't show up on the account summary page. This feels fundamental.
- The mobile app has a number of weird graphical glitches, from wrong-colored borders to weird interactions. It feels like the webpage is just wrapped in an app. It doesn't support any "extra" iOS features, like in-app notifications, control center widgets.
I don't understand what PFCU is doing with this. They clearly have put a lot of work into getting this out the door but it's not confidence-inducing that there are bugs I personally reported one year ago that are still unfixed. Every response of "this is a vendor problem and we're working with them to solve this" makes me more and more nervous that they put their faith in this vendor.
This isn't a restaurant app or a game. This is people's money and it's worrying that it doesn't seem to be taken seriously. I've had friends and family talk about moving their money based on their experience with online banking. It feels like a beta product one year later.
Hi Adam. We’re sorry to hear this, but we appreciate your feedback.
We are aware of issues still occurring with resizing the page, as well as issues with in-app notifications and widgets. Unfortunately, the way the app is developed can make this difficult to address quickly. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Some certain types of transactions in our system do not show in Digital Banking. If you are noticing transactions that are out of order, feel free to contact us with information or questions.
If you’d like to provide more information on which transactions you believe to be missing from the account summary or information about bugs (especially in the Secure Message Center), please call us at 765.497.3328 or email [email protected] We are always working to improve Digital Banking and the mobile app. We appreciate your patience and the information you provide. Thank you!
Written on 7/10/2020 by Adam Lukens | Member Since 1985 | West Lafayette | Alumnus
The digital banking product continues to disappoint. For months it would show $0 as interest fee, but the balance changed.
Now it is straight up missing transactions, like when an employee makes an adjustment to the account.
The lack of attention to detail in the app is abysmal. Newer iPhones have strange bars and misalignment issues. Tapping buttons offers no feedback...you just have to wait until it decides it’s done.
It also forced us to go to SMS based two factor auth, which broke using budgeting tools like YNAB and Mint.
Overall, my review would be summed up in one word.
Hi Jacob. We’re sorry to hear this, but we appreciate your feedback.
Employee adjustments are typically done as a certain type of transaction in our system, which does not show in Digital Banking. If you are noticing transactions that are out of order, feel free to contact us with information or questions.
Mint should now be compatible with two-factor authentication, but YNAB is not yet. We apologize for the inconvenience. Additionally, we are not aware of any bars or alignment issues with the update.
If you’d like to provide more information on the misalignment issues, please email [email protected] We are always working to improve Digital Banking and the mobile app and appreciate your patience and the information you provide. Thank you!
Written on 7/10/2020 by Jacob | Member Since 2001 | Lafayette | Area Resident